Wednesday, November 21, 2012

How Do You Define It?

Isn't it funny how the same word can mean so many different things, depending on who you are talking to. Laundry, for instance. Laundry for a young, single professional might mean a stop at the dry cleaners. But for a mother of six, well, it's an chore of momentous proportions!

The same can be said for kindness, it means different things to different people. I thought I would look and see how other people define it.


"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see."  ~Mark Twain
 
"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."  ~Leo Buscaglia

"Because that's what kindness is.  It's not doing something for someone else because they can't, but because you can."  ~Andrew Iskander
 

“My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

"Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution.” ― Kahlil Gibran

 What does kindness mean to me? It means lending a hand, it means giving of myself, if I can, to help someone else realize how capable and wonderful they are. It is sharing the experience and knowledge I have managed to acquire if someone wants and needs it. It is understanding that being a kid is tough and as a mother, my job is to provide a safe place for them to figure out their place in the world. It is sharing of my time and skills to benefit not only myself, but others as well.

What does kindness mean to you ?

Goals for today:
Be kind to myself: The plan it to take a break from things tonight...it's like a Friday, today. Time to unwind and not stress about anything...if only for this evening!
Be kind to others: Am continuing with my work on the non-profit site. I also mailed off four afghan squares to a group that makes blankets for MomWriters who are going through tough times and I remembered to post a daily writing prompt for my little FB group!
Search for Happiness: I already took care of this one today...I turned up the music in the car on the way to work this morning and sang like a rock star. I forgot how much fun that is and it really put me on track for appreciating all the possibilities I have today!  

No comments:

Post a Comment